Replacing overhead electrical power lines with underground lines helps improve the safety and reliability of the power grid in Alameda.
Plus, removing overhead utility lines is one of the most noticeable improvements a neighborhood can make. Wires, poles, and other equipment can obscure the beautiful scenery of our island community.
Undergrounding of utilities consists of placing overhead main lines and service lines - including telephone, electric, cable television and other telecommunications - underground in a trench. The city of Alameda has had an underground utility program since 1984 and about half of the city’s overhead wires have been moved underground.
Current Undergrounding Projects
The City Council approved the Otis/Broadway Underground Utility District (UUD #38) at its February 19, 2019, meeting. The district boundaries are along Otis Drive from High Street to Broadway Street including streets south of Otis Drive (i.e. Pearl Street, Versailles Avenue, Mound Street, and Court Street) and along Broadway Street from La Jolla to Encinal Avenue.
- Preliminary design -DONE
- Final design, easement acquisition, permits etc. – IN PROGRESS
- Prepare bid documents and awarding of contract – Late 2021
- Construction – 2022 - 2025
- Main Joint Trench
- Service Laterals
- Cutover of customer services
- Removal of overhead facilities and poles
If you would like to be added to the Otis/Broadway Underground Utility District email list, please click here.
Future Undergrounding Projects
Within the next year, AMP plans to recommend that the City Council approve additional undergrounding projects from the list of recommendations received from the district nominating board (DNB). (The DNB, made up of four members of the public and one member of the Public Works Department, had previously reviewed potential areas for undergrounding.) This list includes the following areas:
- Webster Street - all crossings - Central Avenue to Pacific Avenue including Eagle Avenue - West of Constitution Way; and along Central Avenue from Eighth Street to Webster Street.
- Broadway - Buena Vista Ave to Clement Ave
- Fernside Boulevard from Encinal Avenue to High Street, including lines on Lincoln Park access road
- Park Street - San Jose Avenue to Otis Drive
- For more information, contact AMP at email@example.com.