View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 13, 2019
AMP Statement on PG&E's Planned Power Outages
ALAMEDA, CA – The state of California is taking unprecedented measures to protect all California residents and businesses from the risk of wildfire.
PG&E's planned power outages to reduce the risk of wildfire may have broader implications on the electric grid. While Alameda Municipal Power (AMP) does not expect to have planned power shutdowns at this time, it uses PG&E’s transmission system and could potentially be impacted.
PG&E has not finalized the details of how its planned shutdowns could impact AMP and other community-owned electric utilities. AMP will continue to discuss with PG&E the potential impacts to Alameda and will post any information on impacts on AMP's website and on AMP's Facebook and Twitter pages.
In the meantime, Alameda Municipal Power encourages you to prepare for emergencies.
Prepare for power outages:
- Plan for any medical needs like medications that need to be refrigerated or devices that require power.
- If you are dependent on an electric or battery-dependent medical technologies such as breathing machines, a power wheelchair or scooter, and home oxygen or dialysis, it is critical that you have a plan in place for an extended power outage. Contact AMP to ensure that it is aware of your medical needs.
- Keep emergency, family, and other important phone numbers accessible in hard copy.
- Build or restock your emergency kit with flashlights, fresh batteries, first aid supplies, cash, and food that will last up to five days.
- Identify backup charging methods for phones and other electronic devices.
- Know how to manually open your garage door.
During a power outage:
- Switch off all appliances, but leave one light on to know when power is restored.
- Unplug sensitive equipment such as computers.
- Use a battery-powered radio and listen to local radio for updates.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator, to keep your food fresh.
Alameda Municipal Power (AMP) is a department of the city of Alameda that has served residents and businesses for 132 years. AMP provides power to more than 34,000 customers at rates that average 17 percent below neighboring communities.
Alameda Municipal Power
Office Phone: 510-814-6430