Residential Panel Upgrade Rebate
Get Up to $2,500
AMP is offering a rebate to encourage Alamedans to switch from gas to electric appliances—also known as “electrification.” Examples include switching from natural gas water heating to electric-resistant water heating, or switching from natural gas space heating to all-electric. Even switching from a natural gas dryer to an all-electric version can help you qualify for the rebate.
To be eligible for the rebate funds, upgrade your residential electric panel to 200 amps—or up to an amount that can power five all-electric appliances. You will need to show that you have installed, or are planning to install, at least two large electric appliances, and you could be eligible for a cash rebate of up to $2,500.
You can also meet this requirement if you already have at least one of these appliances and you are installing a second one. The existing electric appliance in your home must be no older than September 21, 2020. Any non-existing appliances that are used to qualify for the electric panel rebate must replace non-electric appliances intended for the same purpose.
Plus, AMP offers you cash rebates on several of these appliances. Find more information on these rebates here.
The five “electrification” appliances are:
- Electric vehicle level 2 residential charger
- Electric dryer
- Electric water heater
- Electric space heating
- Electric stove
How to Apply
Before performing your panel upgrade, work with your electrician or contractor to complete these two steps (Note: new appliance installation may require additional permits—contact the City of Alameda Permit Center for more information):
- Submit a completed Residential Electric Service Form to AMP for approval.*
- Submit a completed permit application to the City of Alameda permit center.**
*Submit form to AMP’s engineering office at 2000 Grand St, Alameda, CA 94501. For questions, call the AMP engineering main line at (510) 814-5676. AMP will verify local power availability prior to permit application.
** Contact the City of Alameda permit center at (510) 747-6800
After installation of your panel upgrade is complete, follow these steps:
Once panel and appliance installation are complete, take these steps to apply for your AMP rebate:
- Complete the online Residential Electric Panel Upgrade Rebate application form.
- Submit copies or pictures of the following for verification:
- Picture of updated panel installed on the property
- Pictures of installed electric appliances, and receipts for newly purchased items
- Contract or paid invoice(s) to certified electrician, showing the itemized and subtotaled cost of the electrical upgrade (electrician’s invoice must include the electrician’s license number)
- Final, signed building permit(s)
Click on the link below to submit your application and upload attachments.
|Residential Electric Panel Upgrade Rebate Application|
3. Please allow 8-12 weeks for rebate check to be delivered.
- Application must be fully completed.
- Only panel upgrades performed on or after September 21, 2020 are eligible.
- Panel upgrades must be done for the purpose of home electrification measures.
- Properties must demonstrate completed installation of at least two measures or appliances (e.g.: level 2 EV charger, electric dryer, electric water heater, electric space heating, or electric stove).
- Pre-existing, eligible appliances may count toward one of the two measures. If you are using an existing electric appliance as part of your application, the appliance must be no older than September 21, 2020.
- The rebate is available only to customers served under D1 rate schedules (e.g.: residential customers).
- Panel upgrade installation projects must comply with all applicable City of Alameda building codes and permitting requirements.
- All electrical upgrade work must be performed by an electrician with a valid C-10 license.
- Eligible electrical upgrades:
- Must be permitted
- May include a new 240-volt outlet as needed for applicable appliances
Requirements/Terms and Conditions
- Total rebate amount not to exceed $2,500.
- The rebate amount cannot exceed the total costs of panel upgrade.
- The rebate can be applied towards the cost of the main electric panel, sub-panel, and any of the following associated costs:
- Cost of electrician labor and materials
- Cost of new or upgraded 240-volt outlet installation specifically for a home electrification measure (level 2 EV charger, electric dryer, electric water heater, electric space heating, or electric stove)
- The cost of a city permit (obtained through the City of Alameda permit center)
- Funding availability is limited and is provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Customer is solely responsible for installation of all rebated products to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- AMP reserves the right to reject any application that is incomplete or fails to meet the program requirements.
- Customer agrees that AMP reserves the right to inspect the installation premises of the charging stations for 24 months after the date of application or request additional documentation prior to rebate payment. The rebate may be revoked by AMP if this condition is not met by the customer.
- Alameda Municipal Power disclaims any and all liability, loss, or damage that may arise as a result of the applicant's participation in this program.
- AMP reserves the right to modify or discontinue this program without prior notice at its discretion.