Balloons, Kites and Power Lines Don't Mix
When a metallic balloon or kite touches a power line or floats into substation equipment, it can cause a surge of electricity that short circuits equipment and can lead to power outages, fires, and possible injuries.
BALLOON AND KITE SAFETY TIPS
- Keep metallic balloons indoors; never release them outside.
- Make sure balloons are secured at all times to a weight that is heavy enough to prevent them from floating away.
- Mettalic balloons and kites should always be kept away from overhead power lines and all utility equipment.
- Never try to remove anything caught in power lines or in electric substations.
- If a kite or balloon gets caught in a power line, call AMP immediately at 510-748-3900 to report the problem.