Finding a Contractor
While you aren’t required to work with a contractor to install your generation system, there are many benefits to having a professional assist you with the process. A qualified, liscensed contractor can:
- Help you select and install the most productive generating system for your property
- Walk you though financing options
- Submit the necessary technical information to AMP
- Ensure youy system is interconnected safely to the grid 5. Provide warranty, maintenance, and repair options
How to Find a Contractor
Understand your Contractor's Qualifications
- Your contractor must have an active A, B, C-10 or C-46 license.
- Check the Contractors' State License Board (CSLB) website or call 1-800-321-2752 to verify.
- When you meet the contractor for the first time, ask to see his or her Contractor's State License Board (CSLB) “pocket license” and a photo ID to confirm you are meeting with an authorized contractor.
Expand your Options- Request and Compare Multiple Bids
When a contractor prepares a bid for you, this is a free service and does not obligate you purchase a system. To ensure you are getting the best deal, request and compare bids from at least three solar contractors.
When comparing bids, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Each bid should suggest a similar-sized system. If size differs greatly, you will want to ask why.
- Cost may vary from contractor to contractor, but you can follow the Goldilocks principle when comparing prices.
- A low bid may be a red flag that the contractor is cutting corners; similarly, a high bid can mean an unnecessarily oversized system.