Finding a Contractor
While you aren’t required to work with a contractor to install your generation system, there are many benefits to having a professional assist you with the process. A qualified, licensed contractor can:
- Help you select and install the most productive generating system for your property.
- Walk you though financing options.
- Submit the necessary technical information to AMP.
- Ensure your system is interconnected safely to the grid. Provide warranty, maintenance and repair options.
How to Find a Contractor
Understand Your Contractor's Qualifications
- Your contractor must have an active A, B, C-10 or C-46 license.
- Check the Contractors' State License Board (CSLB) website or call 1-800-321-2752 to verify.
- When you meet the contractor for the first time, ask to see his or her Contractor's State License Board (CSLB) “pocket license” and a photo ID to confirm you are meeting with an authorized contractor.
Expand your Options - Request and Compare Multiple Bids
To ensure you are getting the best deal, request and compare bids from at least three solar contractors.
When comparing bids, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Each bid should suggest a similar-sized system. If size differs greatly, you will want to ask why.
- Cost may vary from contractor to contractor, but you can follow the Goldilocks principle when comparing prices.
- A low bid may be a red flag that the contractor is cutting corners; similarly, a high bid can mean an unnecessarily oversized system.