EV Charging Stations in Alameda
Currently, there are six public electric vehicle charging stations in Alameda.
1416 Oak St. - Civic Center Garage
1516 Oak Street.
1716 Webster Street (Circle K)
1151 Harbor Bay Parkway
Level 1 and 2
Alameda South Shore Center (523 S. Shore Center)
Level 2 charging
Nob Hill Alameda (2531 Blanding Avenue)
Level 3 charging
2000 Grand Street - AMP Service Center
Level 3 charging
Charging rate = $0.30 per kWh
What is meant by Level I, Level II and Level III charging?
Electric vehicle charging stations can be grouped into three basic levels:
- Level 1 refers to Single Phase Alternating Current (AC) using grounded receptacles at the most commonly available voltages and currents. In North America this typically means 120V/16A using a NEMA 5-20R outlet. The Driver can typically use his or her own standard charging cord to connect the vehicle to a Level I charging station.
- Level 2 refers to Single or Triple Phase Alternating Current (AC) at 208-240V, up to 80A. The SAE J1772 plug type is the standard for Level II charging in North America.
- Level 3 refers to direct current (DC) charging, or “fast charging”. To achieve short charging times of 20-30 minutes, Level 3 chargers supply very high voltages (300-500V DC) at very high currents (125A). Note that not all electric vehicles are compatible with Level 3 fast chargers.
Using a ChargePoint Charging Station
How do I access the station?
The ChargePoint Networked Charging Stations can be easily accessed with any of the following options:
- ChargePass™ RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Card) - based Smart Cards
- Phone call to the customer service number located on the ChargePoint charging station
- Contactless Credit Cards, such as MasterCard PayPass™, Visa payWave®, Discover, and American Express, etc.
What is a ChargePass Card?
When you create a ChargePass Account, you can:
- Gain access to networked EV charging stations
- Pre-load with money to pay for charges at charging stations.
- Elect to receive text or Email message when your vehicle is completely charged
- Elect to receive text or Email messages if your charging session is interrupted for any reason such as a GFCI fault or disconnected cable.
- View fuel and greenhouse gas (GHG) savings of your vehicle
- Track your vehicle’s charge history
How can I obtain a ChargePass Card?
A ChargePass Card can be obtained by going to mychargepoint.net. Smart phone owners can download applications for free that provides information into the network of charging station locations.
What is the ChargePoint Network?
The ChargePoint Network is the world’s most advanced and easy to use electric vehicle-charging infrastructure. Electric vehicle charging is delivered via ChargePoint® Networked Charging Stations which cover the entire range of Level I, Level II, and Level III electric vehicle charging needs. Click here for more on the different types of electric vehicles that are available...
What if I have problems using the charging station or my ChargePass Card?
Please call the customer service number (888-758-4389) for assistance.
What are the costs for charging?
As described above, the costs for EV charging vary by charging station’s location, network, and plug type. In some cases there may also be a separate charge for parking. For the most updated information regarding EV charging station rates and locations, check the PlugShare website.
AMP has developed an EV rate schedule which is applicable only to current and future EV stations owned by AMP and the City of Alameda, which will go into effect on July 1, 2015.