NEM Plan Compensation and Billing
If you're an AMP customer on the Net Energy Metering (NEM) plan, the following is how your compensation and billing work.
Understanding the NEM Plan
NEM is a special rate plan for interconnected solar and renewable generation customers.
By law, NEM is available to all new renewable self-generation customers until the total installed capacity is equal to a capacity value of 5% of aggregate customer demand.
On the date when the NEM program reaches capacity, AMP will provide customers with an additional 60 days calendar days to interconnect their solar systems into AMP’s distribution grid. Customers who do not interconnect their systems into AMP’s grid within that window will be placed into the ERG plan. AMP anticipates that NEM will reach capacity in March 2017.
Existing NEM customers stay in the plan for 20 years from their interconnect date. For detailed information, please refer to the NEM Rider.
How the Plan Works
- Under NEM, AMP keeps track of all electricity flowing in and out of the property with a special meter.
- When you generate more electricity than you use in a month, you get a credit at full retail rate value for the excess energy you export to the grid.
- This credit can be used to offset energy drawn from the grid during months when you use more than you generate.
- Every 12 months, AMP zeroes out any remaining credits that were not used during the year.
- AMP provides compensation for the remaining credits that were not used at a rate equal to the average of AMP's purchases of renewable generation, currently 5.3 cents per kWh.
Annual True-Up Statement
You will receive a true-up statement every 12 months, roughly on the anniversary of when you installed your system.
- Depending on your usage and generation over the year, your true-up statement will be either be in the form of a check for the balance AMP owes you, or a bill for the balance you owe AMP.
- Generally, if your system generated more electricity than your home used over the year, you will receive a check. If your home used more electrcity than your system generated over a year, you will receive a bill.
- To complete the true-up, AMP balances your monthly energy charges, monthly energy credits, and additional taxes and fees.
- If you generated more energy than you used, your true-up will include: refund for the electricity charges you paid on a monthly basis; compensation for the net surplus energy you generated; and charges for remaining taxes and fees.
- If you used more energy than you generated, your true-up will include: any remaining electricity charges; and charges for remaining taxes and fees.