Installing Solar Power - An Overview
Interested in generating your own renewable electricity to meet some of your electricity demand? Explore this area of our website to learn more.
Making Energy-Efficiency Upgrades First Will Save You Money
If you are thinking about installing solar, make energy efficiency your first step.
- By making energy-efficient upgrades to your home ahead of time, you may be able to save enough energy to purchase a smaller system and lower your installation costs.
- You also may be able to reduce the amount of energy you’d need to buy from AMP.
- You can request a free home energy audit from AMP by calling 510-748-3900. The audit will provide you with recommendations on how you can save energy at home.
Understanding AMP’s Solar Rates Plans
AMP offers two solar rates plans --- the Eligible Renewable Generation (ERG) plan and the Net Energy Metering (NEM) plan. The ERG plan went into effect on December 31, 2016.
|NEM WEEKLY UPDATE:
|April 19, 2017
|| 3.6 MW
By law, NEM is available to all new renewable self-generation customers until the total installed capacity is equal to a capacity value of 5% of aggregate customer demand. On the date when the NEM program reaches capacity, AMP will provide customers with an additional 60 days calendar days to interconnect their solar systems into AMP’s distribution grid. Customers who do not interconnect their systems into AMP’s grid within that window will be placed into the ERG plan. AMP anticipates that NEM will reach capacity in May 2017.
The ERG plan will not affect customers in the NEM plan. Existing NEM customers stay in the plan for 20 years from their interconnect date.
- Learn about billing and compensation for the ERG plan...
- Learn about billing and compensation for the NEM plan…
Interconnecting to AMP’s Energy Grid
- When you generate your own electricity, the energy needs of your home or business will be served first, reducing the amount of energy you pull from the grid.
- Any surplus energy you generate but do not use will be delivered back to the electric grid.
- In the same way, any additional power you require -- day or night -- is automatically supplied by AMP.
- Interconnection to the grid allows you to continue to receive the reliable service you are accustomed to as an AMP customer.